Hong Kong Society of Herpetology Foundation was established in 2005 and had charitable status in 2007. It is the first and the only registered charitable organization (IR File No: 91/9058) in Hong Kong related to Amphibians and Reptiles. Herpetology is the study of amphibians and reptiles, this includes studies on their anatomy, genetics, ecology, taxonomy, evolution, physiology, etc. Being a charitable organization, we aim to carry out the following missions
(1) To prevent cruelty to reptiles and amphibians through education;
(2) To increase the public’s knowledge of amphibians and reptiles through our website and various activities, such as exhibitions, seminars;
(3) To promote the conservation of local species of reptiles and amphibians and their natural habitats so that the public can appreciate the ecological value of the local species;
(4) To promote public awareness of the crisis of endangered species;
(5) To carry out research and study on local amphibians and reptiles whilst emphasizing the importance of preservation of these animals and the environment;
(6) To do all such other lawful things as are incidental or conducive to the attainment of the above objectives.
The four main pillars of Hong Kong Society of Herpetology Foundation are complementary which are conservation, education, adoption and husbandry.