看到你們曾和建制合作，你們是建制派組織！Your organization had cooperated with Pro-establishment camps, are you a pro-establishment organization?
3) 十幾年前，兩爬協會和其他動物福利團體一起參與由建制主辦的寵物嘉年華，也有參與由政府、其他組織、商場和公司主辦的活動，旨在提升寵物在港的福利，我們當中沒有任何政治考慮。 如果泛民有舉辦那些活動並有邀請兩爬協會，我們也會參與，可惜當時沒有；
4) 要幫動物發聲，有些時候是需要找議員幫手，不論建制或泛民，幫到就行。 十幾年前關心動物福利議題上的議員極少，陳克勤議員是當時唯一理會協會的議員，所以我們相識了，而我們所討論的只在於動物福利上，沒有其他；
5) 兩爬協會十幾年前已開始在 工聯會業餘進修中心 舉辦一個 寵物龜飼養課程，當時考慮工聯會業餘進修中心 是因為較容易接觸廣泛市民和容易收生，當中沒有任何政治考慮和聯繫；
8) 兩爬協會從來都是實事求是。 我們由零開始，義務工作多過十五年，只因我們從來沒有忘記自己的初心，有始有終。
1. Our Society is an animal welfare charitable organization established for herpetofauna, and political stances are never our first-priortized concern.
2. Our Society has never accepted any political donations or trades, and is not controlled by any political parties.
3. 10 years ago, our Society and other animal welfare organizations jointly participated in an pet carnival held by pro-establihsment camp. In addition, we joined activities organized by the government, other organizations, shopping malls and private companies, aiming to raise the well-being of pets in Hong Kong. We have no political consideration within. If pan-democrats are holding such events and invite our Society, we are very willing to join. Unfortuantely, there was none back then.
4. To voice out for animals, we do need the help of councillors sometimes regardless of their political backgrounds. Back then, councillors who cared about animal welfares were rare, and Hon Gary Chan Hak-kan was the only one who responded to us, thus we acquainted. All we discussed was completely on animal welfare and nothing else.
5. Our Society had begun a course of pet turtle husbandry training at Hong Kong Federation of Trade Unions Non-vocational centre, as it was easier to reach out to general public. There is no political consideration and affliation.
6. Our Soicety has been up against the government's policy on turtles killing, and is a member of the Save Lung Mei Alliance, aiming to oppose the construction of artificial beach at Tai Po Lung Mei. Upon this issue, we had divergent opinions from most pro-establisment camps, as we had no political concerns within. We are trying to seek for justice and stand for what our Society should do.
7. Our Society is also a member of Alliance for Hong Kong Animal Police, where the Alliance is mainlly comprised of pan-democrats. Does that mean our Society is a pan-democratic organization?
8. Our Society is seeking truth from facts. From the beginning, we contributed in voluntary work over 15 years, for we have not forgotten what we started for.
領養手續繁複，好像查家宅！Why is the adoption process so complex as though a spy on my family?
As an animal welfare organization, HKHerp would like adopters to understand that we need to be fully responsible for the lives of the animals we accomodate. Before adoption, all animals are carefully examined and wholeheartedly taken care of. They are given medical treatments by vets when needed to ensure that their health problems are properly dealt with before being adopted.
To learn more about our adoption procedures, please visit: https://www.hkherp.org.hk/adoption .
為何領養要收費？Why is there a charge for adoption?
1. Keeping animals incurred costs and resources, including space, basic amenities, food and medication etc. If the canditate is reluctant to pay the adoption fee, how can we evaluate his/her willingness to pay for other expenses?
2. Our Society is dependent on the adoption fee to support our basic operation without causing additional trades and unnecessary breeding (except for the in-situ breeding for the conservation of endangered species)
3. Charging membership fee, adoption fee and chip fee is an agreed mechanism under AFCD and Endangered Species Advisory Committee, our Society cannot go against the laid agreements.
4. After the revision of Hong Kong Legislation No.139(B) in 2017, our Society has the Animal Trade License. When animal adoption organizations are operating adpotion activities, charging adoption fee as a requirement of lending animals is legal.
相熟的人較容易被批領養？People with connections have higher chance of adopting animals?
Our Society including everyone in the Board of Directors, Executive Committee and volunteers, has to go through current procedures of adopting animals. If our Society has better understanding and trusts on the candidate, for example previous adopters, frequently contacted individuals or connected individuals on social media, this implied that some adoption procedures can be skipped, but does not mean there is a higher opportunity of adopting the animal. This is because our Society has multiple considerations when approving an adoption application, such as the number of animals the adopter has to take care of, the time and space the adopter can provide etc, the conservation status or market value of the animals, and the risk of the animal being sold out etc.
Theoretically and pratically in promotion, our Society would like to benefit more people and animals by rehoming them, and deliver the message of adoption further, thus we are aspiring to search for compatible adopters instead of operating within the small circle, as it will not be sustainable in a long run.
為何瀕危物種需要被植入晶片後才可以領養？Why must the endangered species be chipped before adoption?
領養瀕危物種計劃，是漁農自然護理署根據 瀕危野生動植物種國際貿易公約 CITES 的建議，如某些在寵物市場常見的品種，如走私被充公後而最後也沒有其他出路的情況下，那些動物可開放給市民領養。 在2014年，漁農自然護理署 和 保護稀有動植物諮詢委員會 已批準本會可為 「瀕危野生動植物種國際貿易公約」附錄II 內的動物尋找新的家。 暫時在香港已批準的機構有 香港兩棲及爬蟲協會 和 香港愛護動物協會。
Adoption of endangered animal scheme is a suggestion from AFCD cased on Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES). For instance, some species commonly found in pet trade, such as confiscated animals from illegal trade that have no other paths can be opened for public adoption. In 2014, AFCD and Endangered Species Advisory Committee approved our Society to rehome animals under CITES II. So far, approved organizations in Hong Kong are HKHerp and SPCA.
想了解協會的財政？I would like to learn more about the financial status of the Society!
To learn more about our Society's finances, please download our financial reports and annual reports at the below link:
協會接受薪金的員工 Is the Society hiring any staff?
Our Society are made up of completely volunteers on administrative levels, apart from staff hired based on Environmental Conservation Funding approved projects.
Therefore your donation is 100% for our operation, such as the rent of our adoption center, basic electricity and water amenities, medical expenses, daily feeding and equipments.
動物來源 Where does the animals come from?
於本會領養的動物健康嗎？Are the animals adopted from the Society healthy?
As an animal welfare organization, HKHerp is responsible for all incoming animals. After an animal enters the Adoption Center of HKHerp, the animals are quarantined in isolation for better observaion of their appetite and health condition. In addition, detailed body checks are being done to the animals, such as wounds treatment and external check-up. In case of any serious health problems during the observation and body-checking stages (such as liver disease, tapeworm infestations, severe dermatosis and respiratory infections), we will seek medical treatment from vets. We only allow the public to adopt animals from HKHerp if the animals progress positively in health condition.
我想參觀協會領養中心！I would like to visit the adoption center!
Please wait a minute! Our center is not open for public visits since HKHerp does not have adequate manpower: dutied volunteers may be out for seminars, rescue or other outreach activities. If you're visiting without appointment, it is possible that no one will answer the door!
協會的開放時間是什麼？What is the opening hours of the Society?
As mentioned above, the Adoption Center is not open publicly for visits. Since we have limited manpower and dutied volunteers may be out for seminars, rescue or other activities, our adoption center does not have fixed opening hours.
Adopters who have to visit our adoption centre shall first fill in and submit the Adoption Form. Volunteers will contact you after receiving and proceeding your application. By the time you can make an appointment with our volunteers and visit our centre. Schools and other organizations that are interested in visiting our centre are welcome to call our Society's hotline or make a booking via Whatsapp.
協會為什麼要收取$200棄養手續費？Why is the Society charging a $200 abandonment fee?
- 協會接收動物而到該動物被領養前，支出往往不只 $200 元，例如動物領養中心的租金、 水電費、醫療開支、日常餵養和設備等，用意只為補貼或減輕協會日常動物的支出；
- Our Society's expenses on taking care of the animal before it is adopted is far beyond the $200, for instance the rent of the adoption center, costs on electricty and water amenties, medical expenses, regular feeding and equipments etc. The intention is solely an aid or relief to the expenses of our Society in daily operations.
- Our Society has limited resources in space, manpower for taking care of the animals and money. We cannot satisfy all abandonment requests, thus charging an abandon fee is attempting to shift some responsbility to the owner who abandon his/her animal.